Millinery wear & care or how to love your hat! What I really enjoy about couture millinery is creating an individual one off hat or headpiece, especially for you. This is a very personal "bespoke" service where together we create your very own hat or headpiece. I have talked about this more on the " Couture hats - design your own totally unique hat" page.
Once we have completed the inspiration & design process, I begin to make your headpiece. This utilises the ancient skills of couture millinery, and so using carefully selected couture fabrics, trims & finishes, I craft a beautiful couture headpiece to your specific requirements, including your head size, colour, and design preference. This is what's known as bespoke millinery.
After the final fitting the excitement really begins as you take delivery of your gorgeous headpiece. Once you have your piece at home to help you look after it carefully, so you can wear it with enjoyment many times over, I have made a note of a few pointers to help you with its care.
- Please handle your headpiece with care as it is fragile - take care especially when removing from the packaging.
- When putting your head piece on please position it carefully, ensuring its is securely positioned and then dress your hair to suit - especially if your piece is attached using traditional hat elastic.
- I use carefully selected couture fabrics & finishes in my headpieces so do not spray it with hair spray or perfume, nor is it washable, or suitable for wearing in moist/rainy conditions, and please also be aware that it is not fire resistant.
- If your hat is made from felt I will show you how with a light clothes' brush brushing it - in the direction of the pile after wearing - will keep your wool felt looking pristine.
- And finally after wearing your headpiece please store it carefully, wrap it in acid free tissue paper and place it into a suitably sized hat box, not forgetting to support any delicate edges, so it is ready its next outing!
I do hope you enjoy wearing your new couture head piece, as much as I did creating it, and thank you so much for letting me in on a little of the excitement of your special occasion!
Thank you - Margaret